The first issue of the Redmond Spokesman rolled off the presses July 14, 1910. It is currently the oldest continuously operating business in Redmond.
Prior to the Spokesman's inception, the tiny town of Redmond had another paper, The Oregon Hub. In 1913 Redmond teenager Douglas Mullarky began publishing The Enterprise, and for one heady year Redmond was a three-newspaper town.
In 1914 the Spokesman bought both competitors.
The Redmond Spokesman was begun by newspaper veterans Henry and Clare Palmer, who for a short time published The Laidlaw Chronicle in Laidlaw (now Tumalo).
For a combined 40 years Joe and Mary Brown served as the Spokesman's publishers, from 1931 to 1971, when it was purchased by present-day owners Western Communications.
We are located at 226 N.W. Sixth Street, in the heart of downtown Redmond.